Monday, May 19, 2014

A Salute to a true D.C. forgotten hoops legend


The Godfather Of Go-Go Chuck Brown one Bootney Green's favorites

I've read many articles, seen many video's of legendary player's from different cities and even in different countries. Some of the best player's get left out of those conversations. Normally, it's the player's of the past. After high school, I moved into the Washington D.C. area, from Baltimore. Baltimore, by the way was one of my stops along the way being a kid of military parents we lived in many places here in the states and overseas. Although I was born in Roswell, New Mexico, I've always admired basketball hoops wherever I ended up living. Bridgeport, Connecticut, Goldsboro & Dudley, North Carolina, Suitland, Maryland, D.C. & New York. One thing I love in the summertime was basketball hoops and of course outdoor summer concerts.

I wanted to focus my attention on a D.C. basketball legend who played in the famous Urban Coalition Summer League at Dunbar High School in the district. A back in the day hoopster that really never got his props for representing D.C. hoops especially during the mid 1980's. Those summer month's were as they say, "SICK" for D.C. summer basketball. Clarence "Bootney" Green (Spingarn/Cheyney) was one of the best to ever get it done in the Urban Coalition Summer League. 

We've heard about the legendary D.C. hoopsters such as: Curt Smith, Greg Jones, John Battle, D-Nice, Steve Francis, Pep Tyson, and many more, but why haven't we heard about one of the best to ever do it in the nation's capital. The best one to light it up consistently on a hot summer's day at the Urbo. People need to know how it was back in the day at the Urban Coalition. Dunbar High School was an amazing place to be in the summertime with so may high school, college and professional hoopsters from all over. Muggsy Bogues, Sam Cassell, Penny Hardaway, Sherman Douglas, Darryl Prue (former Gtown Ass't/WVU/DunbarDC, John Battle, Curt Smith, George Lynch, Hubert Davis to name a few Bootney with and against. Those were the days! 

When you see the names of the player's Bootney has play with or against in this famous D.C. historic summer league your mouth will drop to the floor. You will be in awe of this man they call "Bootney!" "LOOK AT HIS NUMBERS AGAINST SOME OF THE BEST TO EVER DO IT ON THE HARDWOOD" in the DMV. Numbers Don't Lie! Check out the newspaper clippings. Bootney mentioned to me he didn't know his mother had kept these sacred articles all of these years and he almost cried when his mom gave these articles of the past to him. "Ok Kent I didn't know my mom saved all this she said asked me do I still have my old clippings I said naw, she well I have something for u and gave me a folder full. I almost cried!!!! - Clarence "Bootney" Green  







  

Here's Bootney after one his games (yes, he's still hooping) with his old high school coach John Wood who still has an impact on his life today! "My high school coach John Wood came out to watch me play today, it's amazing how much he has touched my life and still is a big part of it. Just want to say thanks for everything u have done for me, glad ur still in my life love u coach!!!!"



Salute to Clarence "Bootney" Green!!! 




No comments:

Post a Comment