Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Pacers continue to have "inconsistencies" at getting the ball to their big man

Before the Pacers/Heat game last night I said to myself, "which Pacers team will show up tonight." Watching how "inconsistent" the Pacers have been in the last two series of getting the ball to their big man has been a problem. 

I think this starts in the huddle with Coach Vogel not telling his players to "consisently" pound the ball inside. I don't see this enough. If I have a true center I think I might want to immediately use his services by going directly to him. True point guards know exactly how to do this. They know the correct passes to throw into the post. I'd like to see more lobs to the basket where the big man can go and get it and finish strong. Throw some bounce passes into the post. Do whatever you have to do to get your big man the ball. 

This Pacer sometimes play "equal opportunity basketball." (Me & my turn)>>> 2007 Washington Post Sports article John Thompson Jr. once said, "It wasn't the time for equal opportunity basketball!" - John Thompson Jr. 

Below is Hibbert's shot chart. He made most of his shots in the paint and only missed two. 
Shot Chart for Roy Hibbert 

I remember Hill dribbling down the court to make a pass to David West in the right corner of the court, West then ...whoa wait...oh no he didn't ...smh...Roy wide open with his hands ready RIGHT UNDER THE BASKET and West throws a cross court zip pass right by Hibbert and I was like, "you've got to be kidding me did I just see this?!!?" Roy had his opponent sealed under the basket, and all West had to do was dip the pass in there for two. He didn't. George received the last pass and missed the ill advised jumpshot.

I think in the third quarter Hibbert may have had only one touch. 

I don't know what's going on, but the Pacers selfishness is causing "inconsistency" and losses which shouldn't happen. It's a total mismatch in the post, guard and teammates should whole heartedly and unselfishly change their mentalities to get their big man the ball at will. 

Let your center carry you, believe in him to the fullest, it's amazing how he believes in you as his teammates and thinks so highly of you, but do they think the same about him?

We know 90% percent of the game of hoops is mental, the other 10% is physical. 

RIP to my son. He was setting big men up in the post when he was a youth. I taught him at a very early age how to play the point guard position. His head was always up, saw the whole court, he knew his first pass was in the post or he'd attack and dish the ball. 

Chavis was a very unselfish player and could run a team. Check out his point guard skills from youth to high school.>>>Chavis Harris Highlights

Play basketball the right way can be a thing of beauty. Check out the new San Antonio Tribute video below narrated by Laker and NBA Hall of Famer, Earvin "Magic" Johnson.

Hibbert, in 41 minutes, shot 5-9, 12 points, and 13 rebounds. He was also 2-2 from the line. He altered shots, and played good defense Now, what does this tell you? This tells me to give my big man the ball a lot more. Roy did most of this on his own, but yet and still he helped his teammates when they need him too but didn't/doesn't get the same respect on a consistent basis.   

No comments:

Post a Comment