Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Some things I've learned from this season



Brand New Day - Sting

During this March Madness I learned so many things about the different teams. I read so many stories about each team. I read and learned other team's solutions on what they did to keep winning in the this national tournament. As bad as I feel/felt about the Florida Gulf Coast loss, I still went back and did my own research on this team's success and why they dunked so many times on us. It started in practice.

I learned that FGCU Coach Andy Enfield tells his team to throw the ball to the basket instead of lob the ball the ball to a player's hands. I guess it's easier to do this when you're in transition. FGCU didn't have many posts player's or any for that matter. I would still my guards especially with a post player or players to do the same, but also give the bigs some no look bounces and tell them to go to work.

I learned that the our wings on both sides of the court, after a rebound, need to sprint down the court as the point guard pushes the ball and looks up and passes to one of the wings for quick baskets. I also learned from watching two of the Washington D.C.'s area's best from the legendary school and Coach Morgan Wooten, DeMatha High School's Keith Bogans and Joe Forte, where both were McDonald's High School All Americans in the same season.

The Hoyas can still run their offense when needed. I learned from listening to Michigan Final Four Coach Belein that Louisville Coach Pitino changes defenses rapidly something I should've already known from watching the Hoyas beat them every season.

I learned our guards need to FIRST look into the post and pass the ball in there to their big people. Trust your bigs, encourage your big's when they get the ball to go to work. The Hoyas need lots more bounce passes inside to the post. No look bounce passes as well. Step right, or step left and whichever side your big is on get him the ball, no excuses. Guards should attack at will even if the Hoyas are running their offense. This has to be the point guard/guard's mentality each and everytime out. Great player's will find a way. Communication is the key.

To be successful during the season and in tournament time. PLAY EVERYONE or MOST. 

I learned: "Do not overestimate the competition and underestimate yourself. You are better than you think". ~ Tim Ferriss

I learned: "Some defeats are only installments to victory" - Jacob A. Riis
I learned: "There is only one thing more painful than learning from experience and that is not learning from experience." - Archibald McLeish

"Stop worrying about the potholes in the road and celebrate the journey"

My Ravens got knocked around for a few years in the playoffs to get to the Superbowl, people were saying will your team ever get over the hump? My answer back was sure, one day. This day February 3 came with a Superbowl win so:
For our Hoyas!


I learned: "Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out." - John Wooden




No comments:

Post a Comment