Monday, March 7, 2011

My point guard play





As everyone knows, our senior lead point guard Chris Wright is hurt.  So what do we do?  What is the solution?  Answer. We replace him with another point guard.  I don't know of any basketball team that can consistently win without a point guard on the court for most of the game.  I've been stressing and stressing how important the point guard position is for the Hoyas and how we should have a point guard on the court for most of the game. 


Can you fly an airplane without a pilot?  No.  My point.  The point guard is like a pilot that fly's the airplane.  The pilot is in control of where the airplance goes.  It's the same with the point guard he controls runs the offense.  The offense starts with the point guard.  I was reading an newspaper article from the the Charlotte Observer about UNC's "pure" point guard Kendall Marshall.  


Some folks keep saying I keep mentioning Kendall too much, but I'm just using him for an example because he's such a knowledgeable player at the point guard position, and plus I've know the young man since he was 7 years old.  Kendall is well beyond his years.  One other thing also, there's a possibility the Hoyas might meet the Tarheels in the NCAA Tournament in the second round.  But anyway here's some point guard knowledge I picked up from the newspaper article.  I already knew these things, but I just wanted to point them out.    We didn't have a point guard on the court midway through the second half of the Cincinnati game.


Please remember I'm only using Kendall Marshall (UNC) as an example because he seems to have such a high basketball IQ especially at the point guard position.  The freshman's forte remains getting the ball to his teammates - be it via a simple entry pass, a no-look, behind-the-shoulder toss or a half-court bullet. In an era when most of the best point guards in the country are known more for their scoring or speed or athleticism, the old-school Marshall, who entered the weekend second in the ACC with 5.1 assists per game, still takes pride in one thing: sharing.  

"I guess I'd rather have my teammates look good and have a part in it, kind of blessing them with it. I've just always felt that way," said Kendall Marshall.

Since Marshall took over the starting point guard job on Jan. 18, the Tar Heels have picked up their pace and scoring average, winning nine of 10 games.  Marshall was left as the team's only true ballhandler.  Since then, he has become an extension of Tar Heels coach Roy Williams on the floor, gaining confidence with every extra minute played.

"He understands time and score better than most people," Williams said.  "He understands who's hot and who's not; he understands who's in foul trouble on the other team.  He's a thinking man's point guard, with a lot of ability, too."

It's one thing to want to pass to teammates from seemingly impossible angles; it's another thing to actually do it.  
"Passing is something you have to think about, more than action," he said. "You have the mechanics - thumbs down and things like that. But at the end of the day, you just have to know where your teammates want the ball without the defender getting in the way."

"and basically, getting the defense to work like a puppet to what I want them to do," he said.

"I remember telling him early on, 'If you want to be good, you have to be able to do something better than everybody else.'" Dennis Marshall said. "And I think what's different about Kendall is that he can make an impact without scoring 30 points in a game."
"Kendall's unique; he really is because that (passing) part of the game is important to him," Williams said. "He thrives on that; everybody wants to play with him because of that."
"Ask the players that I play against - it's hard to keep me in front of them," Marshall said. "And one thing about the pass is, it will always move faster than somebody running. I like to think about it that way."

I just wanted to stress so
me points on point guard play.


Let's Go Hoyas!

WE ARE GEORGETOWN!


Glidehoyas













No comments:

Post a Comment