Saturday, January 5, 2013

Nailbiter loss it was


Watching and observing the game today taught me some things. The long lay off had some affect the team. By the middle of the first half I thought it would be a low scoring game. It was we lost by one point 49-48. The Hoyas won the tip but the score remained 2-2 at the 15:32 mark. At the end of the first half the score was 20-19 in favor of Marquette.


I thought the Hoyas might come out of the locker room fired up, and I'm sure they were, but the second half was much like the first half. Close. Both teams shot poorly. Hoyas shot 18-46 @39.1% in field goals, three pointers 5-15 @33.3%. The only good stat was free throws 7-12 @58.3%. When I see a high percentage stat such as our free throws this tells me we should have gotten to the line a lot more. 

It's good to be more aggressive going to the hoop to get to the foul line. We were in the bonus long before the Warriors were. It's good to start recognizing this a lot more to win the strategy of the game. If I know I'm in the bonus, I'm attacking and getting to the line and knocking down my free throws to win the game. It's an easier and smart way to win most games. Who can get to the bonus early on and take advantage of it. 

There were a couple of critical no calls especially when sophomore Otto Porter  threw an inbounds bounce pass to teammate Markel Starks as he ran towards the basket, he got pushed from behind, no call instead the referee called the ball out of bounds on Starks. There's the ref to the right of the sentence. I don't know what it is about him but it's not good look. This referee must have some vendetta against the Hoyas because he sticks it us everytime home or away games. I wish I would of took a photo of him smiling and slyly talking to Coach Buzz Williams before the ball was taken out. I say let's mic the referee because after some can be suspect. (lol)

By the way Markel played a great game and showed good leadership 18 pts., 7 assists and 2 rebounds. He was 2-2 from the free throw line He should be able to attack when he wants to. Being a good free throw shooter I would.

From the replay it showed Starks had gotten fouled but it was a no call. This shot made would have put the Hoyas up and perhaps go on to win the game. Oh, they fought the whole way as they always do. Although the Hoyas had 8 steals, I thought there could have been more energy and intensity on defense especially in the half court setting. I would to see to see more arm movement up and down. 

More harrassment on defense consistently. Only four players scored for the Hoyas. Seven players played. The two reserve players that played did not score freshman D'Vauntes Smith-Rivera and sophomore Jabril Trawick. The Warriors played ten players, eight scored, and three reserves scored for a total of sixteen points. Would like more of our reserves playing. As a fan I defintely believe in my team as whole. I think they are ready if their name is called. Just guide them through it as their playing. They will be fine. I'm sure the Hoyas will regroup and get back down to business because they'll be playing a lot more. There will be no more long lay offs. It's Big East conference time. It's not only an adventure, it's a journey.

Pick Em Up Hoyas


gh






No comments:

Post a Comment