Tuesday, February 1, 2011

The Hoyas clip the Cardinals wings in an exciting 62-59 win in D.C.


GLIDE

Wow, as we say, one step at a time, one game at time and our Hoyas will shine.  Well, that's what our Hoyas doing.  They are shining.  Like a shining star.  Speaking of shining star check this out!  Gotta give our Hoyas some ole skool love Hoyanation and friends!

SHINING STAR HOYAS
EARTH, WIND & FIRE

As I entered the Verizon Center this evening I felt something special was going happen no matter how the game went.  What I felt was a confident feeling.  It was a feeling of knowing my Hoyas would play their hearts out to continue the "Hoya Dream Season" and they did just that.  The Hoyas (17-5  6-4) are playing with a "sense of urgency" like never before.

I knew it would be a special evening as I was standing up at my seat and someone said, "excuse me", I said, "okay cool", and looked up and it was Hoya great Reggie Williams.  He was sitting three seats from me, and I spoke with him about when I first saw him play.  Reggie was 13 playing a Saturday morning game in our recreation center Herring Run in Baltimore City.  

I told him he went down on the far end of the court smoothly shooting around and talking with his coach. I told a friend of mine, "man, that kid is gonna be special and go all the way to the NBA."  Guess what, he did! Reggie also won the 1984 NCAA National Championship with the Georgetown Hoyas.  Did you know that Reggie Williams play on "The High School Team Ever?"  The "Paul Lawrence Dunbar High School Poets" with teammates that include the late Reggie Lewis, Muggsy Bogues, and former Hoya great David Wingate.

HOYA REGGIE WILLIAMS

POET PRIDE
Reggie Williams #33

POET PRIDE 2

Moments later, other Hoya greats Gene Smith and Michael Graham arrived at the phone booth to see their Hoyas in action.  

Now, back to the game!  I think the Hoyas knew that had to guard the perimeter to the extreme and shut down the sophomore Cardinal point guard Peyton Siva and the rest would be history.  The Cardinals have been shooting well from beyond the arc as of late.  With Peyton Siva's play making abilities, he has been the catalyst behind setting up his teammates for those big shots they've been making.  The Hoyas' defense started the game off on a great note.  “They played excellent defense, they had a great scheme, and I didn’t make the adjustment until the second half.  You have these nights. Everybody has these nights," said Louisville point guard Peyton Siva.

The Hoya defense was played at a very high energy level.  As a matter of fact, the Hoyas offense was played at a very high level.  I could tell that the Hoyas know what time of the year this is especially Chris Wright (24 pts.) (8-8 free throws) last night.  Wright's leadership led the Hoyatroops along the way.  “I have to see how the game is going to determine my role,” said Wright, who attempted only three shots but had six assists in the 69-66 win over then-No. 8 Villanova on Saturday.  “In the last game, Austin was hitting shots all over the place, early and often, so why force something?  Why force the issue?  I’ve got to be the playmaker.  Whatever that entails is what I’ve got to do.”  Chris Wright on his late heroic off balance scoop shot which made ESPN'S Top 10 plays off the night at #2.  "I work on that," Wright said jokingly. "That's something in my repertoire. I thought the ref was going to call a foul, but I'm glad it went in."

John Thompson added: "That's one of those, as a coach, you're like: 'No, no, no, no, no. Yes'. When it dropped through the basket."  "Things were there for him," Coach John Thompson III said of Wright, who also had five rebounds and went 8 for 8 from the free throw line.

Hoya sophomore Hollis Thompson on made a three-pointer that put the Hoyas ahead for good, 58-55.
"Julian Vaughn set a great screen and I saw an open shot," Hollis Thompson said. "I wasn't really thinking about time and score." Looking at John Thompson, he added with a smile, "Maybe I should have."

What can I say about Jason Clark.  This young man is phenomenal!   Clark played his butt off defending one of the Big East's best guards and shut him down.  Now, that's BIG, becasue "DEFENSE WINS CHAMPIONSHIPS," and when you take the head off of the monster (point guard) it's makes it more easier for the defenders to control the game.  It's like saying a point guard is the "brains" and "headquarters" for the basketball strategies.  The point guard is the playmaker and makes all decisions to control the game for his team.

Okay okay he didn't score a point until near the end of the game. Two points on the foul line.  Those were very important and critical points that the Hoyas needed and they got them.   One thing I think Jason understands is when the going gets "rough" you have to get "tough" and "stay focused"  because you know the game is not over.  In 22 games the Hoyas have 304 free throws made and 412 free throw attempts and are 3rd in the Big East at 738%.  This is a sign of a great NCAA tournament team.

He was so calm and cool, and I know he was thinking about his grandmother that had passed not too long ago.  Those two points on the foul line were for her.  The reason why I this is because when I look at Jason from the line he was so calm and cool.  Some say he's always calm and cool, and it's true, but there was more of a calmness in him than I've ever seen.  The shots were perfect and "nothing but net."  "It's not how you start the game, but how you finish the game, "FINISH STRONG, and "FREE THROW'S WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS", says Glidehoyas!

Here's some photo's I took at the game:

Gliding past the White House from work to the Verizon Center (12 blocks)

GAMETIME!
TIPOFF!

HOYA STUDENTS GETTING IT IN

HOYAS STUDENTS CHEERING WITH HANDS UP FOR HOYA FOUL SHOOTER

HOYAS WARMING UP BEFORE THE 2ND HALF

EVERYBODY'S FAVORITE COLLEGE BASKETBALL ANALYSTS ESPN'S BILL RAFFERY

HOYAS UNITING FOR LAST TIMEOUT OF THE GAME AGAINST LOUISVILLE

WHO IS THE WORST DANCER ON THE TEAM?
ANSWER:  JERRELLE BENIMON

HOYAS YOU ARE #1 IN OUR HEARTS
HOYA SAXA!

HIGHER HOYAS HIGHER
CREED

LET'S KEEP GOING HIGHER HOYAS!

WE ARE GEORGETOWN!

Glidehoyas




No comments:

Post a Comment