Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Hoyas keep the faith and overcome adversity in a rivalry classic win 64-56 in front of the 30,000 Syracuse fans




ANIMATED HOYA!
LOL!

CLASSIC HOYAS
NAS, KANYE WEST, RAKIM, KRS ONE

This game was a rivalry and a "Classic."   I was at work, the clock was winding down, and it was almost time for me to get off.  I was getting hype.  As I was walking to metro a guy passed by me saying, "Georgetown", and I threw my fist and loudly said, "yesssss Georgetown, Let's Goooooo!   I knew it happen, I knew my Hoyas would win, but I knew it would be a bumpy ride.  I buckled up my seatbelt because I knew it would be a bumpy ride, and it was.  The mighty Hoyas (19-5 8-4) showed their poise, and faith through the storm and made it through as they have done for most of this season.  This was definitely a big game for the Hoyas and especially for Coach John Thompson III.  He had never won at Syracuse in his tenure as coach of the mighty Hoyas until tonight.  


Coach Thompson III, he has something to talk about with his dad, who became persona non grata around here when his Hoyas upset Syracuse 52-50 in the last game at old Manley Field House on Feb. 12, 1980. It snapped the Orange's 57-game winning streak in the intimidating building, and the elder Thompson boldly declared in his postgame press conference: "Manley Field House is officially closed."
Those words created one of college basketball's most heated rivalries and they still ring in his son's ears.

"That's one of the most talked-about moments in this conference.  This is my seventh year in the Big East and this is my first win up here," Thompson said.  "I've been thinking the last couple of years, some kind of way the man upstairs is going to say, 'OK, you closed down Manley, but they're your ancestors.  No one in your lineage is going to win at the new place.'  Me and the man upstairs, I'm glad he lifted whatever he sprinkled over the top of us."


Austin Freeman had 14 points to lead four Georgetown players in double figures.  The key to the Hoyas’ winning streak has been the perimeter play of Freeman, Chris Wright, Jason Clark and Thompson. Jason had a tough outing tonight, but knew how to have faith and overcome adversity and come out on top in the end.  Clark had (12 pts. 3 rbds, 5 asts. 1 stl).   Entering the game, they had combined for 149 3-pointers and were shooting 40.3 percent from beyond the arc.  Julian Vaughn (12 pts. 8 rbs.) had a stellar performance playing smart and tough. Julian showed great poise and senior leadership.  Chris Wright (6 pts., 9 asts.) also showed great poised and leadership at the point guard position.  The Hoyas had a total of 20 assists, Syracuse only 12 assists.  The Hoyas outrebound the Orangemen 28-21.  This shows that the Hoyas play great team ball and shared the love.


I have to give my man freshman Markel Starks a shout out for coming off of the bench and playing well and giving our senior point guard Chris Wright some rest.  Markel was 2-2 in field goals and 1-1 on a three pointer.  The three pointer added some flavor to the Hoyas mix in the first half.   Starks is indeed  a great freshman Hoya and understands his role on this team.  This was truly a big win for the Hoyas, but they know tomorrow will be a new day and time to refocus on Sunday's game with Marquette here in the D.C.  Well, Hoyanation and friends, I hope you enjoyed that classic, so the "Show Must Go On!"  WE ARE GEORGETOWN!


SHOW GOES ON HOYAS!
LUPE FIASCO









Glidehoyas





No comments:

Post a Comment